I work for a company that is one of the biggest “boys clubs” in the world. Even the name, Siemens, yes…all can chuckle now, denotes that I work in a man’s world. I am the only (and youngest) full line account representative in my region (there are 7 total). When we have national meetings, it’s like a sausage fest…women beware…the men are away from their wives.
I’ve always admired women in business that were able to work their way to the top. Nina DiSesa is the Chairman of one of the top advertising firms in the country. Her rules for seduction and manipulation of a “boys club” are simple.
- Learn to appreciate men. Men like women who like them. (Or as Jules always says, “Old Men like pretty girls who smile”)
- Remember that women are biologically wired to succeed.
- If you want to make a name for yourself, find a mess and fix it. A secure job only holds you back.
- Don’t assume that men never listen. They listen like a dog does. (selectively)
- Don’t be a quiet achiever.
- Act brave and you will look brave.
- Screw the rules. Make up your own.
These are just a few of Nina’s rules for S&M of a “boys club”. If you are in advertising/marketing/management, than this is a great book. My daily scenarios are a little different, but I still found the book charming and empowering.